Friday, February 10, 2012

A More Responsible Public

Being a Responsible Member of the Society

The film we’ve watched last Saturday is very eye opener and informative. I must say that throughout the film viewing, I’m not bored rather I am interested. The film makes me realize that I should be a responsible mass media practitioner in the future, especially if I want to be part of the advertising world. The speaker made me realize the things that the advertising industry’s doing just to earn millions of money even though it will cause ruining women reputation on the society or rather the society itself.

In the country like the Philippines, we are lucky enough that our people are somehow conservative and don’t like to change that perception. But how long will it last, since information and internet is widely accessible. I am aware that the use of sexy women and men on advertising is really eye catching, but I am shocked that age doesn’t matter nowadays. The models they are using to do photo shoot or commercial should be at school or play ground playing and growing up as a normal child. But I should also want to question why they’re parents even give their permission on using their child in a way that will give other parents an idea. Is that how people became far and desperate to promote their product and be patronized by the people? Especially the people in liberated countries like United States and Europe. I’m curious if they still remember their advertising code of ethics and if they have ever an advertising board.

Advertising is very powerful and persuasive; it gave us their own idea and perception of beauty which somehow we adopt. I mean we can’t prevent it, since media is a very powerful medium. But as a women and a responsible member of the society we should patronize product with good quality and not with good advertisements, because it makes them think that their method of promoting is being admired by the public. I know that common people have the power and control whether they want to be influence in a good or bad way through advertising.

During our group discussion, we almost have same opinions on the matter and different questions. But to make the work done in a short period of time given to us, after discussion we divided the questions that we should answer individually. We should be wise and aware of its effect to our culture and society and it’s up to us if we want to continue promoting the disturbing ads or making ads with moral values.

No comments:

Post a Comment