Tuesday, February 21, 2012

They are Used

Since I am not yet assigned to a particular practicum site, my interviewee is someone from the media industry I just know. A fresh grad of AB Mass Communication Major in Broadcast in Centro Escolar University, Ms. Joena Marie Manlangit, 21 years old, is from San Mateo Rizal. She is currently a researcher in GMA Network for the programs Reel Time, Motorcycle Diaries and Best Men.

I interviewed her over the phone because it is the best way to talk to her amidst her busy schedule as a researcher. I asked her about the Source-Reporter Relationship topic and I also tried to connect our conversation with what we are studying in Media Ethics.

I asked her how is it being a researcher, interviewing a lot of people, getting involve with many issues in life. She said it is hard. You have to be realìy good in public relations. You have to be charismatic but not sympathetic. You have to be knowledgeable of the people that you will meet. You should learn how to adapt to their way of life so that you may be able to get their sides easily. And no matter what happen you have to get the answers to your questions no matter what.

All along, I thought their subjects are paid in trade of their stories shared to a lot of people but they are not. She said that the company prohibits that because it adds bias to the scene. But she admitted that she gave money to some of her interviewees. She said it is unfair to them especially that their subjects all have compelling situations in life. In short, they belong to the poverty line. It is her way of bringing her thanks to them and she sees nothing bad about it.

She advised me that in this line of work. You should have a strong heart. There is no room for tears because the subjects might be affected if you will show them that. You should not be sympathetic. Maintain the source-reporter relationship. Do not go beyond that line or else something wrong might happen in the end. Like for example when she is working on the documentary entitled “Tulo Boys”. She developed friendship within them. But after the project, she was not able to sustain the communication and so her interviewees got mad at her in the end. At the end of the day, you were just a person who’s mission is to get the facts right and do not have the obligation to be in a good relationship with them even after the project.

She told me a truth I can never forget. Subjects in the stories are used. You use them to get what your job requires you to do. I asked her, ‘Do you think it’s ethical? She said it’s not. You became a user. Getting what you need to them and then leave them afterwards. But that is how business in this industry works. As for her, she makes this thing right, by giving something in return to the interviewees even if her company prohibits it. With this I remember the paradigm that I saw in our lesson, the thin line between a person’s professional ethics and moral ethics. And if I were ask if I would do the same, I would say yes.

In any job, ethical dilemmas are to be solved. It is indeed really important that all parties at stake are to be considered, not only the professional rules but also your moral obligations as well. I admire how Ms. Manlangit is able to deal with the usual problems as a researcher. As I see it, she tried her best to be a good employee and a citizen as well. It is a balance between two equally important things to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment