Friday, February 10, 2012

Violence Against Women


During the viewing of the video of “Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising's Image of Women” I was absent but I was able to watched it on the internet to cope up with the discussion. I was absent because I had a fever and I can’t get up in my bed so I’ve decided to not to attend the class.

As I have watched the video, I learned some ethical things in advertising. First we must not use the women’s body in adverting. Second using women’s body in advertisement is violence against them. Third using computers in adjusting the women’s body must not be tolerated because it is insult to them. Some people said women’s are the best instrument in advertising but as I have watched the video they are not perfect for advertisement because it may be able to harm them. We cannot say they are best instrument by showing their body because it can be violence against them. Editing the picture of a woman for advertisement is not a good idea, editing the whole picture meaning destroying the true image of the women. I know woman’s body can easily attract the attention of the viewers because of its beautiful figure. Women’s body is a gift from god. They must not be a model to attract consumers they are not instruments for advertising and that must be the first thing to change in ads the attitude of people that harms the moral dignity of the women. We advertise not just for the consumers but also to educate the public.

Some advertisement here in the Philippines also using the women to attract consumers, example of it is the Colt45 ads that if you buy the product of them, you will given a chance to date the one of the hottest woman in the Philippines Christine Reyes. The theme of the commercial was Christine Reyes was wearing a two piece bathing suit and massaging by a not a handsome guy or I can say an old man and in the end of the commercial the bra wearing by Christine is pulled by him. The idea is very intelligent and I salute the commercial because of it. Of course using a beautiful icon to promote is a very powerful ads. Imagine if you buy the product there will be a chance to date with Christine. I’m sure men will never reject the opportunity of having the chance to date Christine Reyes, they will surely buy the product just to have a date with her.

However, after I have watched the video, I am disappointed to the commercial of Colt45 because they used Christine Reyes just to promote their product and the theme of their ads was violence against women. The print and TV ads of it was showy on the perfect body of Christine Reyes and I learned that it is not a perfect idea to promote the product. All in all after I have watched the video advertising is not just to attract consumers but also to educate the viewers.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear that from you Mr. Asor, you sounded like a CHANGED man after watching the video. :D hahaha.
      I just have this wondering thought in mind, why do advertisers usually use sexy women in promoting their alcohol drinks? are they relevant? what do you think about it?

      Delete