Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nothing Beats the Truth

Maria Patricia Nuguid

Before I started reading the article, I had the impression that from the title itself, it maybe all about professionalism. And as I’ve read the article, I’ve understood the importance of always keeping in mind what your job is all about. And in order to do that, you should always be objective, not subjective. But it’s always easier said than done. Being a journalist, you should know where you stand, what your role is and make sure you professionally do it.
However, its still part of the package that some are not in favor when journalists are doing well and being less biased in their jobs. People who still tend to create more stories to complicate more issues. The messages of the Maria Ressa in the article are clear and are not that uncommon anymore because this kind of issue has always been criticized. I think if you are a journalist, it is inevitable to encounter this problem about being biased regarding an issue concerning people you are connected to.
Also, I think it’s significant to understand that it’s never about pleasing everyone or anyone because that is entirely impossible and definitely not a journalist’s job. There should always be that sense of acceptance that people will never be satisfied but that should not affect the right principles that journalists should have. I’ve understood that the public can pick their side to believe in but journalists should remain transparent because nothing will beat the truth. Finding out the truth, disseminating it to the public, being a credible journalist; those are not easy. Journalists demand for the truth because it’s their job, not because they wanted to deteriorate the other parties’ reputation.
As a Mass Communication student, this is a very important point to understand. Entering the real world of media, broadcasters and journalists, we should really be prepared by expecting the worse but remain professional at all cost. Right now is the time to know what really is my stand and the proper place where I should stand along with what will be my role as I determine my specific future career.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that we can't please everyone. AS ALWAYS!
    It's just sad in the part of those LOYAL and RIGHTEOUS journalists,that despite their loyalty for the public.. still, they are being doubted and accused of dishonesty.
    with that,I know we can never do anything, as what you've said, anyone has the right to pick on which side they may believe..
    For me, as long as the journalists are in line with truth, they can never go wrong.. because nothing beats the truth! :D

    ReplyDelete